Literacy Workshop with Dr.Kelly Burgoyne at Wynn’s Hotel
Dr. Kelly Burgoyne invites parents, teachers, SNA's and resource teachers to an all-day literacy Workshop.
Dr.Burgoyne was awarded first class BSc (Hons) degree in psychology in 2003 and received her PhD in 2007. She has published many scientific research articles and is the co author of the DS Education International Reading and Literacy Initiative (RLI).
The one day literacy workshop includes the following:
- What do we know about the literacy skills of children with Down syndrome e.g. Can children with Down syndrome learn to read and write, what level of ability do children with Down syndrome reach, what factors effect literacy development in children with Down syndrome?
- What should literacy instruction involve? e.g. What skills should be targeted and how should the teaching of these be structured and organised?
- How can we best support literacy development? Practical ideas and examples including examples of teaching activities, and suggestions for resources. Guidance on tailoring teaching to individual levels of ability and strengths/weaknesses.
- How do we know the right level to pitch teaching and how can we support continued progress? Assessing literacy skills, progress monitoring and continuing progress - How to assess the individual's current level of ability to determine starting point, monitoring and continues success.
- Problem solving - common areas of difficulty and suggestions for dealing with these including motivation issues, difficulties with phonics and comprehension etc.
Information and ticekts available here.
Included in the ticket price is tea, coffee and biscuits for breakfast, and soup, sandwiches, wraps and refreshments for lunch.