Carbon Monoxide Alarm Advice from Decwells Expert Hardware
Installing a carbon monoxide alarm could save your life
After the success of Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, DublinTown called into David in Decwells Expert Hardware Store on South Great George’s Street to ask what is carbon monoxide and how can we protect our homes and businesses?
Hi David, what exactly is carbon monoxide and how can we detect it in our homes and businesses?
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a gas that has no smell, taste or colour and is a common yet preventable cause of death from poisoning worldwide. This is why it is sometimes called the “Silent Killer”. We recommend buying a Carbon Monoxide alarm. Here in Decwells Expert Hardware we have a range of Carbon Monoxide alarms that comply with the EN 50291 standard that provide a warning to householders in the event of a dangerous build-up of CO.
What are the causes of CO Poisoning?
You can be in danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning if dangerous amounts of Carbon Monoxide accumulate in the building. This can happen as a result of any or a combination of the following:
- Faulty or damaged heating appliances
- Heating appliance not maintained or serviced
- Rooms not properly ventilated
- Blocked chimneys or flues
- Indoor use of a barbecue grill or outdoor heater
- Poor installation of heating appliances
- Improper operation of heating appliances
- Property alterations or home improvements, which reduce ventilation
- Running engines such as vehicles or lawnmowers in garages
- Using cooking appliances for heating purposes
What are the symptoms of CO Poisoning?
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be similar to those caused by other illnesses such as a cold or flu. They include:
- Unexplained headaches, chest pains or muscular weakness
- Sickness or stomach pains
- Sudden dizziness when standing up
- General lethargy
What safety precautions do you recommend?
- Ensure your appliances are correctly installed and serviced annually
- Ensure that rooms in your home containing heating appliances are properly ventilated – we always recommend getting a dehumidifier
What are the warning signs of Carbon Monoxide?
Typical signs of Carbon Monoxide may include:
- Staining, sooting or discolouration around the appliance
- Appliances that burn slowly, badly (orange or ‘floppy’ flames) or go out
- A yellow or orange flame where normally blue
- Condensation or dampness on walls and windows in the room once the appliance is lit
- A strange smell when the appliance is on
- Rusting or water streaking on appliance cabinet/vent/chimney
- Loose or disconnected vent/chimney connections or guards
Carbon Monoxide alarms are available from Decwells Expert Hardware Store.
Normal RRP €30. Mention and show this DublinTown blog to Decwells to get your alarm for only €20!
Decwells Expert Hardware Store, South Great George’s Street, Creative Quarter, Dublin 2