Virgin Media Dublin International Film Festival 2019
The Virgin Media Dublin International Film Festival returns for a plethora of film events.
Now in it's 17th year, Virgin Media Dublin International Film Festival, Ireland’s premier film event, will run from February 20th to March 3rd with a jam packed programme of events. This year it features over 125 events across 12 days including the finest local and international feature films, short films and documentaries, along with a dedicated children’s and young people’s programme and a host of special events featuring industry leaders.
Events this year include:
- OPENING EVENT February 20th: Which shows the Irish premiere of Papi Chulo, the new film from Irish director John Butler, known for the award winning Handsome Devil and The Stag. Joining John on the red carpet for the premiere will be the stars of the film, Matt Bomer, known for A Normal Heart, Magic Mike and The Magnificent Seven, and his co-star Alejandro Patiño. The comedy drama tells the story of a well-heeled, lonely, gay TV weatherman who strikes up an unusual friendship with an older straight migrant worker from Mexico and deals with themes of friendship, class, ethnicity and economic migration.
- Fans of cult TV show The Office will be thrilled to hear that Stephen Merchant visits the Festival on February 27th for the premiere of his new movie, Fighting With My Family, bringing with him the true, colourful and crazy story of the rise of WWE Superstar Paige. Merchant wrote and directed the film, which tells the story of reformed gangster and former wrestler Ricky, his wife Julia, daughter Saraya and son Zak who make a living performing in tiny venues across the country. Ricky and Julia want a better life for their children and when brother and sister get the chance to audition for WWE, it seems the family dream is coming true and all their troubles will be solved, but their family bonds are soon put to the test. Wrestling fans seeing the movie should also keep an eye out for a memorable on screen appearance from champion wrestler turned movie star, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson who also produced this film.
- Other high profile guests to walk the red carpet at the Festival include Josh Hartnett (Pearl Harbour), Lucy Fry (Wolf Creek) and Eiza Gonzalez (Baby Driver) who visit for the world premiere of She’s Missing on March 1st. The drama thriller by Irish writer and director Alexandra McGuinness is about a young woman, Heidi, whose best friend goes missing at a rodeo after meeting a mysterious man. She sets out across the desert, unveiling astonishing secrets and encountering the unexpected violence of life on the road.
- This year’s shorts programme takes place on February 23 and includes some exciting titles, including Psychic, the directorial debut by one of Irish cinema’s most respected actors, Brendan Gleeson, about a charismatic psychic and his two manipulative sons who are gaining a cult following, played by his real-life sons Domhnall and Brian.
- The World Premiere of hilarious new Irish drama Dub Daze at Cineworld Dublin on Saturday 23rd February. Stories from the streets of Dublin as characters search for acceptance, fame or just a good laugh. Details found here
As mentioned above, there is 125 events taking place throughout the festival and not enough room here to mention them all so head over to diff.ie for the full listing
Join the conversation online by using #VMDIFF19