Hugh Lane intended his gallery to be located on a bridge crossing the Liffey, but its beautiful home in Parnell Square would certainly bring a smile to his face. Hugh Lane’s own extensive art collection is split between the British Museum and the Hugh Lane, and is a sight to behold. It was formerly known as the Dublin Municipal Gallery, and its temporary collections are always on the Dublin to-do list!
Located in Dublin’s city centre, Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane, originally called The Municipal Gallery of Modern Art, houses one of Ireland’s foremost collections of modern and contemporary art. The original collection, donated by the Gallery’s founder Sir Hugh Lane in 1908, has now grown to include over 2000 artworks, ranging from the Impressionist masterpieces of Manet, Monet, Renoir and Degas to works by leading national and international contemporary artists. The Gallery presents dynamic schedules of temporary exhibitions, seminars and public lectures, publications and educational projects.
The Gallery’s wide range of activities both within and outside the Gallery includes an annual series of lectures by artists, philosophers and art historians. A lively education and outreach programme has forged strong links with local school and community groups with activities ranging from Kids Club workshops, adult education courses and the ever-popular Sunday lecture series.