The Four Courts
The Four Courts played its part in modern Irish history during both the Easter Rising in 1916 and again in 1922 when they were occupied by Republican forces who opposed the Anglo-Irish Treaty. This provoked a week of fighting in Dublin during which the historic building was destroyed. However, through refurbishment and rebuilding the Four Courts were reopened in 1932. On the exterior of the building, the façade shows bullet holes, which were deliberately left as a reminder of the buildings troubled and complex history.
The Courts Service was established as an independent corporate organisation on 9th November, 1999 following the enactment of the Courts Service Act, 1998
Their Functions Are:
- to manage the courts,
- to provide support services for the judges,
- to provide information on the courts system to the public,
- to provide, manage and maintain court buildings,
- to provide facilities for users of the courts.